Using a walking aid, such as crutches, is an important part of your recovery because it allows your foot or ankle to heal properly. Learning how to balance with your walking aid is one of the most crucial steps in using it effectively.
Check out the following tips to learn how to safely use your crutches:
- When you first start using your crutches, have someone around to help support you while you are learning how to use them.
- Always make sure that your crutches are properly positioned before you begin moving to avoid a fall, slip, or another injury.
- When walking with your crutches, lean forward slightly and move your crutches to be about a foot in front of you. Act like you are going to use your injured leg to maneuver but instead shift your weight onto your crutches and slowly bring your body forward to rest between the crutches.
- Make sure you are always looking forward when walking with your crutches, not at your feet.
- When using crutches on stairs, make sure to hold onto the handrail with one hand and keep your crutches away from the step edges.
- When going up the stairs, your good leg goes first, but when you are going down the stairs, your bad leg should go first.