Dr. Kent Smillie is a board-certified, fellowship-trained foot, ankle, and sports medicine specialist. He uses surgical and nonsurgical treatment methods, and he is committed to thoroughly discussing treatment options with his patients to aid them in being active partners in their care to make informed decisions and obtain improved quality of life through reduced pain and better function.
Dr. Smillie received his bachelor of science and master of science degrees from the University of California, Los Angeles. He then went on to earn his medical degree from Albany Medical College in Albany, New York. While in Albany, Dr. Smillie underwent his general surgery internship and orthopaedic surgery residency training at Albany Medical Center and Albany Stratton VA Medical Center. He continued his medical education through specialized fellowship training in sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery at the University of Massachusetts Memorial Medical Center in Worcester, Massachusetts. In Portland, Maine, he completed an additional fellowship in foot and ankle orthopaedic surgery at Mercy Hospital New England Foot & Ankle Specialists.
As an experienced sports medicine surgeon, Dr. Smillie has assisted in professional and collegiate team coverage for the Pawtucket Red Sox and Lowell Spinners, affiliates of the Boston Red Sox; the Worcester IceCats, affiliates of the St. Louis Blues; College of Holy Cross; Clark University; and Assumption College.
Education & Training
- Undergraduate: University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- Graduate: University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- Doctor of Medicine: Albany Medical College, Albany, NY
- General Surgery Internship: Albany Medical Center and Albany Stratton VA Medical Center, Albany, NY
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: Albany Medical Center and Albany Stratton VA Medical Center, Albany, NY
- Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic Surgery Fellowship: University of Massachusetts Memorial Medical Center, Worcester, MA
- Foot and Ankle Orthopaedic Surgery Fellowship: Mercy Hospital New England Foot & Ankle Specialists, Portland, ME
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons