Dr. Peden specializes in arthroscopic surgery and in the treatment of conditions involving the shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee. He received his medical degree from the University of Florida. He completed an internship in general surgery at Orlando Regional Medical Center and his residency training in orthopaedic surgery at the Mayo Clinic. He went on to complete a dual fellowship in arthroscopy and sports medicine at Mississippi Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center in Jackson, Mississippi, where he was the team physician for Mississippi Valley State University. Prior to medical school, Dr. Peden taught English in Japan for over two years, and he continues to support education endeavors in the field of medicine. Dr. Peden is actively involved as an associate master instructor for the Arthroscopy Association, teaching advanced arthroscopic techniques to training orthopaedic residents and practicing surgeons at their prestigious Orthopaedic Learning Center in Chicago. He has co-published chapters in three text books on the arthroscopic treatment of the elbow.
Here in Florida, Dr. Peden serves as an assistant clinical professor for the Florida State University College of Medicine. He has brought several arthroscopic and endoscopic techniques to Indian River County not previously available, including femoroplasty for impingement of the hip, coracoclavicular ligament reconstruction for the shoulder, endoscopic decompression for entrapment of the suprascapular nerve, and arthroscopic radial head excision for rheumatoid arthritis of the elbow. Dr. Peden is a member of both the Arthroscopic Association of North America and the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. He is an instructor of arthroscopic surgery on a national level and has published in peer-reviewed journals and books.
When he is not seeing patients, Dr. Peden is an avid blues musician and enjoys windsurfing and sailing.
Education & Training
- Undergraduate: University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- Undergraduate Studies: City of London Polytechnic, London, England
- Post-Baccalaureate Interdisciplinary Studies: University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL
- General Surgery Internship: Orlando Regional Medical Center, Orlando, FL
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Orthopaedic Surgery – Sports Medicine & Arthroscopy Fellowship: Mississippi Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center, Jackson, MS
- Hip Arthroscopy, Month Traveling Fellowship: Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, and Steadman Hawkins Clinic, Vail, CO
- Hip Arthroscopy Mini-Fellowship: Arthroscopy Association of North America, Rosemont, IL
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Florida Medical Association
- Indian River County Medical Association
- Indian River Medical Center
- Indian River Surgery Center
- Grove Place Surgery Center