Dr. Peden is a Mayo Clinic trained surgeon specializing in conditions involving the shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip, and knee. He received his medical degree from the University of Florida. He then completed an internship in general surgery at Orlando Regional Medical Center and his residency training in orthopaedic surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. He subsequently completed a dual fellowship in arthroscopy and sports medicine at Mississippi Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center in Jackson, Mississippi, where he was the team physician for Mississippi Valley State University. Following this training, he chose to further develop his surgical interests by completing travelling fellowships in hip arthroscopy.
Dr. Peden is actively involved as an associate instructor for the Arthroscopy Association of North America, teaching arthroscopic techniques to training orthopaedic residents and practicing surgeons at the prestigious Orthopaedic Learning Center in Chicago. He is also member of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, and has co-published chapters in three textbooks, including a text on the advanced reconstruction of the elbow for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
Here in Florida, Dr. Peden has sought to find collaborative ways to bring his academic interests and advanced techniques to the community. He serves as a Preferred Response Member Physician for the Mayo Clinic, and Clinical Assistant Professor for the Florida State University College of Medicine. He has been a strong proponent of advancing technologies and infrastructure that allow surgeons to perform a comprehensive range of outpatient surgical services in Vero Beach. As such, he played a pivotal role as Medical Director for The Advanced Center for Surgery, a physician owned and operated musculoskeletal specialty surgical facility which opened in 2017. Moreover, he continues to advocate for improving administrative efficiencies, anesthetic management, home care, rehabilitative services, and telemedicine to further accommodate patient needs.
Dr. Peden has brought several arthroscopic and endoscopic techniques to Indian River County not previously available, including femoroplasty for impingement of the hip, coracoclavicular ligament reconstruction for the shoulder, endoscopic decompression for entrapment of the suprascapular nerve, and arthroscopic radial head excision for rheumatoid arthritis of the elbow. He has a particular interest in complex rotator cuff conditions of the shoulder, performing revision repairs and superior capsular reconstruction. Furthermore, he actively incorporates evidence-based protocols for the use of biologic technologies such as platelet-rich-plasma and allograft tissues to augment his surgical techniques and outcomes.
When he is not seeing patients, Dr. Peden is an avid blues musician and enjoys sailing at various Caribbean and the Mediterranean destinations. Prior to medical school, Dr. Peden taught English in Japan for over two years. Returning to the United States, he remained devoted to his interest in international endeavors by coordinating an international health programs office for the University of Florida College of Medicine, where he was involved in several medical missions to Haiti and Central America.
Dr. Peden is available to see patients in Vero Beach or Sebastian. To schedule an appointment to address your sports-related injury, shoulder pain, or other joint problem impacting your lifestyle or keeping you from your sport, call (772) 569-2330 or schedule an appointment online.
Education & Training
- Undergraduate: University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- Undergraduate Studies: City of London Polytechnic, London, England
- Post-Baccalaureate Interdisciplinary Studies: University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL
- General Surgery Internship: Orlando Regional Medical Center, Orlando, FL
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Orthopaedic Surgery – Sports Medicine & Arthroscopy Fellowship: Mississippi Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center, Jackson, MS
- Hip Arthroscopy, Month Traveling Fellowship: Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, and Steadman Hawkins Clinic, Vail, CO
- Hip Arthroscopy Mini-Fellowship: Arthroscopy Association of North America, Rosemont, IL
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Florida Medical Association
- Indian River County Medical Association
- Cleveland Clinic Indian River Hospital
- Sebastian River Medical Center
- The Advanced Center for Surgery