Dr. Atwater is a board-certified orthopaedic spine surgeon at Vero Orthopaedics & Neurology, where he treats a wide range of spinal conditions and performs many types of spinal surgery. Dr. Atwater received his medical degree from the University of Virginia in Charlottesville and interned at John Hopkins University in Baltimore. He completed an orthopaedic residency at Howard University in Washington, D.C., and a spine fellowship at the University of Louisville.
Dr. Atwater is a member of the North American Spine Society (NASS) and the American Medical Association (AMA). He is listed in Becker's Orthopaedic & Spine publication of "50 of the Best Spine Specialists in America" and was also recognized by Becker's Orthopaedic & Spine in their list of "31 Spine Surgeons To Know." Dr. Atwater also serves as a medical consultant to several medical device companies and has presented at a variety of spine symposiums and workshops. In addition to his busy schedule, he enjoys spending time with his wife of 20+ years as well as his children and grandchildren.
Education & Training
- Undergraduate: Yale University, New Haven, CT
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA
- Surgical Internship: Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: Howard University, Washington, DC
- Orthopaedic Spine Surgery Fellowship: University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Medical Association
- American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists
- McLean County Medical Society
- North American Spine Society
- Indian River Medical Center