Dr. Daniel Plessl is a Harvard–trained sports medicine doctor who is joining Vero Orthopaedics in September 2021. Specializing in musculoskeletal care for a broad range of individuals, from weekend warriors to young athletes, he offers the highest level of surgical and nonsurgical treatment for bone, joint, muscle, and sports-related injuries and conditions. Dr. Plessl’s expertise includes minimally invasive repair procedures for the shoulder, knee, and hip in addition to shoulder replacement and fracture care.
From serving as an emergency medical technician to completing a prestigious fellowship in advanced sports medicine, Dr. Plessl has an exceptional background in comprehensive medical care. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in biomedical engineering from the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. He then earned a graduate degree at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg before graduating from the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine in Roanoke. Choosing to specialize in orthopaedics, Dr. Plessl completed his orthopaedic surgery residency training at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans. He went on to complete further training through a subspeciality fellowship in sports medicine through Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts.
In his practice, Dr. Plessl partners with each patient to learn about their specific goals and develop an individualized treatment plan to help them return to the activities they enjoy. Dr. Plessl also enjoys staying active and frequently spends his free time fishing, hiking, and playing sports.
Education & Training
- Undergraduate: University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- Graduate Certificate in Translational Research: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA
- Doctor of Medicine: Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine, Roanoke, VA
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA
- Sports Medicine Fellowship: Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine